Fair usage and vehicle access
A fair usage policy is in operation at the Household Reuse and Recycling Centre (HRRC) which will allow households to access the site up to 12 times a year.
Limiting the amount of visits will help ensure that council tax payers are not footing the bill for those who are disposing of commercial waste illegally, or those who are disposing of excessive amounts of waste on a regular basis.
Pedestrians and bicycles
For residents without access to a vehicle you can visit us using the pedestrian access gate.
- pedestrian and bicycle access is allowed on the site without a booking
- ID is required and you may be required to wait during busy periods
- please use the pedestrian access gate and follow walkways around the site
A fair usage policy for cars was introduced on 12 July 2021.
- residents visitng by car get a maximum of 6 bookings between July and December 2021.
- visits to the site are by appointment only and must be booked in advance.
- bookings cannot be cancelled or amended, 'no-shows' will be counted towards the 6 bookings limit
- site staff will check the number of bookings made on arrival, you will be turned away if you have already reached the bookings limit
- from January 2022 the count of bookings is reset to zero, and the total number of bookings that can be made over the 2022 calendar year will be 12
- for further information on the policy please see the Car Fair Usage Policy FAQs at the bottom of this page
If you have exceptional circumstances that mean you require more bookings than the fair usage policy allows, please contact us to discuss your requirements: 020 8770 5000.
Vans and large vehicles
- residents with a van or large vehicle get a maximum of 8 bookings or a maximum of 500kg per household, per calendar year
- visits to the site are by appointment only and must be booked in advance
- bookings cannot be cancelled or amended, 'no-shows' will be counted towards the 8 bookings limit
- site staff will check the number of bookings and weight disposed of on arrival, you will be turned away if you have reached the 8 bookings or the 500kg limit
- from January 2022, the booking and weight count is reset to zero, you will be able to book 8 visits or bring 500kg of waste between January and December 2022
Vehicles considered as a van and large vehicle
- any large or small van (including hire vans)
- pick-up trucks
- mini buses with 10 seats or more
- any vehicle that has side panels instead of rear windows
- any vehicle where the seats have been permanently removed
If you are unsure if your vehicle is classed as a van or large vehicle please refer to the HMRC definition of car derived vans and Combi Vans
Vehicles not allowed access at any time
Large and heavy vehicles cannot use the site. These include, but are not limited to:
- vehicles over 3.5 tonnes max gross weight
- vehicles over 5 metres in length
- luton style box vehicles (including any high sided vehicles
- vehicles with more than 4 wheels
- tipper trucks or false sided vehicles
- vehicle and trailer over 5 metres combined
Does this mean the booking system is now permanent?
Yes. Since the booking system was launched, visits to the HRRC are now shorter for residents and feedback has been positive. It has allowed visitors to avoid lengthy queues to enter the site, which also benefits local neighbours and businesses and improves local air quality by reducing vehicle idling time.
Why is the fair usage policy being introduced?
For 96% of Sutton residents, the fair usage policy will not affect their yearly visits to the site. For the 4% of residents this new policy will affect, the Council will be able to discuss their waste disposal requirements to find the best solution to their needs. It will also help the Council identify visitors who may illegally be bringing business, commercial or trade waste to the site.
How will I make a booking?
The quickest and easiest way to make a booking and to view all available slots is via the Council’s website at: sutton.gov.uk/hrrc. If you do not have access to the internet, a booking can be made on the phone via the Council’s contact centre.
How can I use my bookings?
You can use your 6 bookings between July and December 2021. This can be used by multiple visits per day, all within one month or spaced over the 6 months.
From January 2022 the count of bookings is reset to zero, the total number of bookings that can be made over the calendar year will be 12.
What if I forget how many bookings I have made?
What happens if I require more than 6 bookings to the HRRC?
If you require more than 6 bookings for the HRRC, please contact the Council on 020 8770 5000 to discuss your waste disposal requirements further.
Will I be able to cancel/amend my booking?
Not on the current booking form, but we are building this into a new booking form that will replace the current form in the coming months. No-shows will count towards the 6 bookings at this stage.
Has the van and large vehicle policy changed?
No, the current van and large vehicle policy of 8 bookings per calendar year remains the same.
If I have a small car, can I visit more frequently?
The same number of bookings applies to all cars that are smaller than the van and large vehicle policy