Who can register a birth
Congratulations on the birth of your baby. We would like to thank you for your patience during the lockdown period.
If your baby is less than 2 weeks old we recommend that you wait until your baby is a few days older before coming in to register.
- if the parents are married or in a civil partnership - either parent can register the birth.
- if the parents are not married or in a civil partnership - the mother must be present at the registration. If the other parent's details are to be included in the registration, they must also be present.
- the baby doesn't need to be taken to the Register Office because the local health authority or the hospital (where the baby was born) will automatically notify the registration staff of the birth. Please remember to bring your hospital discharge summary or your red book to the appointment.
- a birth which takes place in England can only be registered in English. If an interpreter is required please arrange to bring an additional person to the registration to translate for you.
- for more information please visit here