Births & naming ceremonies

Who can register a birth

  • if the parents are married - either parent can register the birth.
  • if the parents are not married - the mother must be present at the registration. If the father's details are to be included in the registration, he must also be present. 
  • the baby doesn't need to be taken to the Register Office because the local health authority or the hospital (where the baby was born) will automatically notify the registration staff of the birth. Please remember to bring your hospital discharge summary or your red book to the appointment.
  • a birth which takes place in England can only be registered in English. If an interpreter is required please arrange to bring an additional person to the registration to translate for you.