To arrange a citizenship ceremony please complete our enquiry form.
Before carrying on, here are some things you need to know
- if your application for British Citizenship is approved by the Home Office, a Citizenship ceremony invitation letter is sent to you
- all adults must attend a Citizenship ceremony and take an oath and pledge once the Home Office have informed you that you have been successful in gaining British Citizenship
- only the applicant can book a ceremony and you will need your Home Office Invitation letter with you when you contact us on 020 8770 5000 and pressing options 2-1 to book a ceremony
- there is only a charge if you wish to book an individual ceremony
- group ceremonies are free
Where citizenship ceremonies are held
Citizenship ceremonies are held at the Sutton Register Office ('Russettings'), 25 Worcester Road, Sutton, SM2 6PR. Find out how to get to us and about parking on our Visiting us page.
In Sutton, citizenship ceremonies are normally held in a group but, for an additional fee of £100 per citizen, you can arrange for an individual ceremony.
What happens at ceremonies
Ceremonies begin with a speech of welcome by the superintendent registrar. The ceremony also includes welcome speeches by local dignitaries, who give information about the local community.
The taking of a new citizenship oath and pledge is a legal requirement and the key moment at which citizenship is granted. New citizens are then called up one at a time to receive their certificate, information pack and commemorative gift.
The nationality certificate is presented by a local dignitary on behalf of the Home Secretary and can subsequently be used to support passport applications and to prove the individual is a British citizen.
The ceremony will end with a closing speech and the playing of the national anthem. Afterwards, there may be an informal celebration with light refreshments.
- Are you happy to shake hands with the local dignitary when receiving your nationality certificate?
- Would you prefer not to be photographed by our photographer throughout the ceremony?
- If you have any other requirements, please contact us in advance and we will do our best to accomodate your needs.