New look website

Take a look at the beta version of our new look website. We’re keen to know what you think.

Take a look

Housing advice

Are you a vulnerable adult?

Housing for people with learning disabilities

This section explains how vulnerable adults, for instance our residents who have learning disabilities, can live independently in their own home which they rent or have bought. Our Help with housing guide will tell you all about housing for people with learning disabilities, including:

  • Renting - what renting is, what is the difference between renting social housing and renting privately and what you need to do to start renting
  • Buying your own home or a mix of owing and renting (called shared ownership
  • Supported housing - where you live near other people with learning disabilities
  • Staying in your family home - what this means and what support you can get
  • Who to contact next

Find out more in our Help with housing booklet. Once you open it, you can download it and read again when you are not on the internet. If you need help to understand any part of the information, please contact us at 020 8770 5000 and ask to speak to the Housing Centre.

Supported housing

The supported housing service is only available to some vulnerable adults and so, before contacting us to apply for help, you need to make sure you are eligible for the service.

Supported housing has been established to offer easier access to housing related support for those people living in the London Borough of Sutton who maybe homeless and who are eligible for benefits. Priority will be given to vulnerable people and those in crisis who fall into the following groups:

  • People with mental ill health
  • People with substance misuse issues
  • Young people aged 16-17 years old
  • Teenage parents

How to get supported housing

To get either supported housing or floating support you can contact us on 020 8770 5000 where we will take some information from you and discuss the support you need. This information is then passed onto the relevant service provider using a Referral Form.

You can also access the service with the help of any of the following people:

  • All statutory and voluntary agencies
  • Self referrals
  • Family and friends
  • Housing Centre
  • Social Services

What happens next

Once the service provider receives your Referral Form they will contact you for an assessment. The assessment helps them to get to know you and you will be able to talk about what support you need to help you live in your home or continue to live in the community.

Note: depending on how many people are in need of help, the service provider may add you onto a waiting list.