National lockdown: Stay at Home

National lockdown rules apply in England

Latest guidance and information on COVID-19

Council tax discounts

Visiting diplomats and armed forces

Foreign diplomats and members of a visiting force and their dependants may be disregarded for council tax purposes.

Persons who are classed as diplomats under the Diplomatic Privileges Act 1966, Commonwealth Secretariat Act 1966, Consular Relations Act 1968 or the Commonwealth Countries and Republic of Ireland (Immunities Privileges) Order 1985, may be disregarded for council tax.

When applying, please:

  • tell us which embassy the individual has been posted and include any documentary evidence

  • quote your council tax account number found at the top of your bill and or full address

If you are informing us about a member of a visiting armed force from a country to which the Visiting Forces Act 1952 applies:

  • please provide a letter from the force concerned, to confirm that the criteria is met

Applications should be made by email or in writing to:

Council Tax Team,
Civic Offices,
St Nicholas Way,

When applying, you will need your council tax account number, found at the top of your paper bill or displayed in your 'MyAccount' details if you have registered.