Giving notice is a legal declaration to say that you intend to get married or form a civil partnership. It must be given by each of you in person. 

Book an appointment to give notice

If you are unable to book online and your ceremony is being held within 3 months, please call us on 020 8770 6790. If your ceremony is taking place beyond 3 months, please complete our enquiry form and we will be in contact when appointments become available.

If you miss your appointment or your appointment is rescheduled by us as you attended without the correct supporting documents or you booked your appointment with us in error, an administrative fee of £42.00 (£57.00) will be due and therefore no refund is applicable.

When to give notice

You must give notice at least 29 days before your ceremony.  If either one or both of you are subject to immigration control, the notice period may be extended up to 70 days.

You may give your notice of marriage/civil partnership at any time up to one year ahead of your ceremony date.

You need to have:

  • decided where and when you would like to get married
  • made a provisional booking with the venue or local registration service

If the ceremony venue changes or the date is moved beyond 12 months from the date of your appointment, you will need to give notice again. 

Exceptional circumstances

If you require an urgent ceremony under exceptional circumstances, for example, if your partner is seriously ill and isn’t expected to recover, please contact us on 020 8770 6790.

Where to give notice

Where you give notice depends on your nationality. 

If you are a British citizen or an EEA national 

If one or both of you are non EEA nationals

  • you must have lived in a district of England and Wales for the eight days immediately before giving notice 
  • If you and your partner live in different boroughs, you must both attend the appointment together at a Register Office in either borough

What to bring with you 

You and your partner will need to bring original copies of documentation for proof of identity and nationality. What you need to bring varies depending on your nationality.

Read a full list of documents you'll need to bring with you.


  • the notice fee (per person) is £42.00 or £57.00 depending on your immigration status 
  • fees are non-refundable if your ceremony cannot proceed due to outstanding legal paperwork

Church or religious weddings

If you are planning to marry in the Church of England, Church of Wales or another place of worship, you must contact the church vicar or other official to discuss their arrangements for giving notice.

If you are planning to marry in a Church outside of the district where you live:

  • the church must be your usual place of worship and you must attend regularly
  • you will need to give notice of marriage in your local Register Office