Find out how to get support if you're a parent carer of a child with a disability or long term health condition.

Asking for a Children's Act assessment

You’re a parent carer if you look after a child under 18 with complex needs.

You can find out what support is available to you and your family from the Council by requesting an assessment of your needs. This assessment is completed by our Childrens First Contact Service, in line with the Children's Act

A social worker will carry out the assessment. They will meet with you and your child. This is usually at your home, so you don’t have to worry about taking your child to an unfamiliar environment.

The assessment will be completed with you to find out what support you and your family need. 

Having a separate carer's assessment

You won't usually need to have a separate carer's assessment. However, if you feel that the Children's Act assessment doesn't meet all of your needs, you have a right to a separate carer's assessment of your own.

Contact us

To request an assessment, contact our Children's First Contact Service.


020 8770 6001 


Write to us

Sutton Council
Civic Offices
St Nicholas Way

Find us on Google maps

Our offices and phone lines are open from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.