Sutton has a shared service with the Royal Borough of Kingston 1st4Sport Recognised Delivery Centre(RBK RDC)
RBK is the only London borough delivering this award. Operating since 2007, we have trained more than 500 cycle instructors for local authorities and independent providers.
Developed in partnership with The Bikeability Trust, the 1st4sport Level 2 Award in Instructing Cycle Training is designed to prepare learners to become professional cycle training instructors delivering the National Standard for Cycle Training and Bikeability in England.
If you are already an active Bikeability instructor wanting to convert to the new qualification, please check our section that explains about the recognised Prior Learning pathway. A comprehensive set of information is also available on the Professional Bikeability Website.
Step 1 - Four day course
The course covers all aspects of cycle training with reference to the National Standard outcomes and risk management. Participants receive provisional accreditation once coursework is completed. The course includes:
4 day course with 2 qualified trainers
course materials (e-portfolio, workbook, manual and model documentation)
registration on the National Database
A printed copy of the National Standard Bikeability Delivery Guide and model documentation
Step 2 - Post-course assessment (PCA) within 1 Year of your course
The PCA gives you full accreditation while we observe you working with real riders where you work.
usually takes place over 1 session. More sessions may be necessary to validate outcomes
subject to completing e-portfolio assessment tasks and lesson plans evidence for your sessions
You must be at least 18 years of age.
You must be a regular on-road cyclist, who is confident riding in traffic at a standard that meets Bikeability Level 3 environment and who can pass that confidence on to others. This is a very practical course that involves considerable time on bikes.
You must have access to a helmet, suitable clothing for all weathers, a roadworthy bike and bike lock for each day of the course.
Any experience of teaching or coaching young people and adults is desirable.
There are no upcoming courses at present
- For new instructors, the full Level 2 Award Qualification costs £700 per person. That is £500 for the 4-day course and £200 for one post course assessment visit within 6 months.
- We can also run group courses at your location for a minimum of 4 participants - contact us for details
- Additional post-course assessment visit are from £100 depending on location
- Please contact us separately to discuss payment modalities and discounts for groups.
We charge additional travelling costs as required for delivering courses or visits beyond a 10 mile radius of Kingston.
Please email email@example.com for enquiries.
Our supporting policies
As a registered training centre and Bikeability provider, RBK has essential policies in place to support the quality assurance of its activities. To request a copy of any of the policies below please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- RBK Health and Safety Policy with Generic Risk Assessment for Cycle Training
- Inclusive Kingston: Our Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Strategy
- Working for RBK
- Visit RBK in person
- RDC Complaints and Appeals procedure
- Anti-Fraud and Whistleblowing Framework
- Adult Education Safeguarding
- Privacy Notice and Data Protection