If you have a problem with pests you could try reading an online advice guide to take action yourself. The British Pest Control Association (BPCA) provides an A-Z of pests with advice on how to deal with each pest (such as insects and mammals).

If this does not work you may like to call in a professional pest controller.  When looking for a pest controller, make sure you:


  • get at least three quotations
  • find out if there is a call out fee or fixed charge
  • find out what service and guarantee they will provide you
  • check they have insurance cover
  • check their qualifications (a certificate in Pest Control from the Royal Society for the Promotion of Health (RSPH) or the BPCA)
  • are happy with them and understand the advice they give
  • consider personal recommendations from friends, neighbours or colleagues


The Age UK Directory can help you find a pest controller. Companies included on the scheme have demonstrated their commitment to fair, professional and honest trade. You may be able to find a small selection of pest controller companies at http://www.aubdlondon.co.uk/

If bait is used your pest controller will need to visit a few times to inspect the bait and keep it topped up. He or she should also carry out a final inspection once the programme is complete to ensure no bait is left behind.

If rodenticides are used, your pest controller should carry out an environmental assessment to consider the possible threats to wildlife and domestic animals. 

Council tenants

If you are a council tenant and you are concerned about pests, please contact your estate manager to report the problem.

Private sector tenants

If you are renting in the private sector and you are concerned about pests, in the first instance you should contact your landlord to report the problem. Depending on the pest problem it may not be your landlord’s responsibility to deal with the pests however they may be able to help you find a solution. Alternatively if you need to deal with the problem yourself please follow the advice for householders above.