Sutton Nature Conservation Volunteers
Sutton Nature Conservation Volunteers (SNCV) is the main nature conservation organisation operating within Sutton and has been working with the Council's Biodiversity Team to conserve and maintain Sutton's many wildlife sites since 1987.
- The conservation and improvement of sites of wildlife value in the borough.
- Carrying out practical maintenance and habitat management work throughout the year. These tasks include hedgelaying, coppicing, scrub clearance and fence construction.
- Carrying out ecological surveys and monitoring, such as recording butterflies at Roundshaw Downs LNR during the spring and summer.
Sites we work on
The sites that we work on vary in character and size; from small pockets of 'green space' to large Local Nature Reserves. Some of these sites have limited public access and so volunteer task days provide excellent opportunities to see some hidden wildlife gems.
We are lucky to have a variety of habitats within Sutton including:
- chalk grasslands
- rivers and wetlands
- parks and otehr green spaces
all of which we help to maintain and conserve for wildlife.
Our work contributes to improving nature for wildlife and people within Sutton, as well as helping deliver the new Biodiversity Strategy 2020 -2025.
Become a volunteer
Volunteering with SNCV has never been easier and you can find a task and a day to suit your availability. Practical tasks are carried out both during the week and at weekends. We also hold events throughout the year which you can get involved with, so why not take a look at the task programme and join up to receive newsletters, to see what we do.
SNCV is a non-political organisation and a registered charity (no.1069510) and we are grateful for the support (financial and otherwise) that we receive from the London Borough of Sutton.
Join our task days
- enjoy fresh air
- have a little spare time at weekends or weekdays
- want to help make the borough richer in wildlife
- want to gain practical work experience
- don't mind getting a little dirty
why not come and join us for one of our practical task days?
Events may be subject to change, see our events page for up to date information.