Holding a valid blue badge does not automatically qualify you for a disabled bay outside your property. This is subject to separate criteria.
Apply for a bay
If you're a blue badge holder, you can:
You can complete the form and send it to us by:
- email: email@example.com
- post: Parking Services Team, Civic Offices, St Nicholas Way, Sutton, SM1 1EA
You can call us on 020 8770 5000, if you need any support completing the form.
Installing bays is costly and reduces the total available parking on a street. Bays are only installed in the most extreme cases which meet the criteria.
Before you apply
You can apply to for a blue badge (disabled persons) parking bay near your home if you:
- have a blue badge
- have severe difficulty in walking
- if applying for a badge holder under 16 years old - they must need mobility equipment or appliances carried from the vehicle to the property
- live in Sutton
- don't have any off-street parking or a private garage within a short walking distance
- have no recorded warnings, cautions or prosecutions for:
- misuse of your blue badge, by yourself or others, or
- misuse of any blue badge recorded at the address of the application
Please note; if you or your child have a non-visible (hidden) disability including anxiety disorder or brain injury which affects your or their mobility, and do not meet any of the above criteria, please submit an application form and it will be considered.
The bay is for anyone with a blue badge. Although the aim is that it is mostly used by you (the badge holder), and not by any relative/carer/visitor to your property unless they are also a badge holder.
Where we put parking bays
The parking bay can go near to your home, but not:
- if traffic conditions prevent it
- within 10 metres of a junction
- across dropped kerbs
- where existing parking restrictions are in force (this varies from case to case)
- where it would be dangerous to other road users
How long it takes to install
Once you've applied, the process usually takes up to 6 months:
- we'll check you hold a blue badge
- we'll take a look at the site and the traffic around it and consult with the traffic police
- if it's ok, a legal procedure starts involving a public consultation
- this gives 3 weeks for any objections to be received
- if there are objections, the process can take longer than 6 months.