You can take household waste and recycling to the Household Reuse and Recycle Centre.
You can't take business, commercial or trade waste. This also includes waste from gardening and building work carried out on a domestic property, if the person carrying out the work is not the homeowner. For more information on this waste type and how to dispose, please visit the business, commercial or trade waste page.
Is the item you are bringing reusable or repairable?
Get broken items repaired, rather than throwing them away and buying new ones. Find online guides to fix things at home, or use our repair map to find businesses in the borough that can help.
What we can accept
For a full list of items and how to best dispose of them, visit our A to Z of rubbish and recycling.
- CD's, DVD's, Videos
- engine oil containers
- gas cylinders and canisters
- textiles, fabrics, duvets and pillows
For any other items that are in good working, clean and reusable condition please speak to our staff on site to see if it could go to our reuse shop.
- aluminium foil
- batteries (household and car)
- beverage cartons
- christmas trees
- electrical goods and cables (large and small)
- engine oil
- fluorescent energy saving bulbs (if intact)
- fridges and freezers
- garden waste, leaves and grass cuttings
- garden machinery, lawn mowers, grass and hedge trimmers (if applicable the fuel/oil must be removed first)
- glass bottles, tableware, pyrex, mirrors and window glass
- mobile phones
- paint cans - empty and rinsed
- plastic bottles
- printer toner cartridges
- rubble (£5 charge per 50cm x 77cm sack)
- soil (6 bag limit - separated from rubble)
- scrap metals
- spectacles and glasses
- washing machines
- non-recyclable household waste
- food waste - please put in your food waste collection bin
- hessian backed carpet*
- paint - water based that is solidified in its pot
- rigid plastics such as children's toys and washing up bowls*
*recycled where possible
We can't accept
- hazardous waste
- oil based paint
To dispose of these items please contact the City of London hazardous waste service.
Book your visit
Book a time slot to visit the household reuse and recycling centre.