Get support with hearing loss, deafness or visual impairment or dual sensory loss.

Who we help

Our specialist vision and hearing service may be able to help if you’re having difficulties due to:

  • hearing loss
  • deafness
  • visual loss
  • dual sensory loss

How we can support you

Our specialist team is trained to help people living with sensory impairment to develop independence and confidence. 

If you’re having difficulties with daily tasks, we can arrange to visit you at home to assess your needs. We aim to:

  • work with you to understand your needs 
  • provide support with registration and accessing additional benefits
  • identify communication methods, voluntary services and equipment to support your independence
  • provide training and information 

How to get support

Visual impairment


How we can support you

You do not need to be registered blind or partially sighted to access our visual impairments service. We provide:

  • information on eye conditions
  • mobility training at home and outside 
  • advice on reading and writing 
  • advice, training and equipment to help with daily tasks
  • advice on use of lighting and contrast 
  • information about other suitable services 
  • referrals to other organisations 

Sight tests from the NHS

You may be entitled to a free NHS sight test or an optical voucher to reduce the cost of glasses or contact lenses.

Get support from Sutton vision

If you’re experiencing sight loss or a visual impairment, you can contact Sutton vision for:

  • advice
  • befriending services
  • workshops
  • social groups 

Attend a Low Vision Clinic

If your vision cannot be corrected by glasses and you're not being seen in the hospital clinic, you can attend a Low Vision Clinic. 

You’ll be assessed for low vision aids, such as magnifiers. 

Low Vision Services are provided by Sutton Vision and our Sensory Services team. 

Phone Sutton Vision

020 8409 7166

Hearing impairment


How we can support you

If you are deaf or living with hearing loss and need some additional support, we can support you with:

  • advice, training, and equipment to help with daily living tasks 
  • referrals to other organisations  
  • information about benefits, welfare, or employment rights 
  • information about peer and social groups 
  • information about other suitable services 

Get a hearing test from the NHS

If you have ear or hearing problems you can discuss this with your GP. 

Your GP may refer you to a hearing specialist (audiologist) who can carry out the necessary tests. You can request a free NHS hearing test. 

Support from the Council

If you’re having difficulty with daily tasks, you can request a care needs assessment to find out if we can provide support with your care. 

If you care for someone with hearing or sight loss, you can request a carers assessment

Contact us

You don’t need a referral from your GP or a healthcare professional. You can contact us directly or ask a friend or relative to do this on your behalf.


020 8770 6080

Write to us

Sutton Council
Civic Offices
St Nicholas Way

Find us on Google Maps


Our offices and phone lines are open from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.