Bandon Hill Cemetery
Bandon Hill Cemetery was opened in 1900 by Croydon Rural District Council and, due to boundary changes, later became a joint burial authority for the Corporation of Beddington and Wallington and the Coulsdon and Purley Urban District Council. With the formation of the London Boroughs in 1965, the cemetery became jointly run by the London Boroughs of Croydon and Sutton.
The management of the cemetery is overseen by a joint committee comprising elected members from Croydon and Sutton Councils. The joint committee - consisting of five members from Croydon and four from Sutton - meets at the cemetery twice a year. As the cemetery is situated within the Borough of Sutton, central support services are provided by the London Borough of Sutton.
The area of Bandon Hill Cemetery is approximately six-and-a-quarter hectares. The cemetery has consecrated (Church of England) ground and unconsecrated or general ground (where each grave plot is individually blessed by the appropriate minister on the day of the first interment).
The first interment in Bandon Hill Cemetery took place on 7 March 7 1900 and was in grave number L 379.
On 24 March 2006 the cemetery carried out its 30,000th interment. There are approximately 14,000 grave spaces. Since 31 March 1995, with the exception of graves for cremated remains only, new burial rights have only been available for reclaimed graves - these being very old graves which have burial space remaining but have not been used for at least seventy-five years.
The original rights to these graves are reclaimed by the Joint Committee by virtue of Section 9 of the GLC (General Powers) Act 1976.