Bandon Hill Cemetery was opened in 1900 by Croydon Rural District Council. Due to boundary changes, It later became a joint burial authority for:
- the Corporation of Beddington and Wallington and
- the Coulsdon and Purley Urban District Council
With the formation of the London Boroughs in 1965, the cemetery became jointly run by the London Boroughs of Croydon and Sutton.
The management of the cemetery is overseen by a joint committee. This comprises elected members from Croydon and Sutton Councils and meets at the cemetery twice a year.
The joint committee consists of:
five members from Croydon, and
four members from Sutton
As the cemetery is situated within the Borough of Sutton, central support services are provided by the London Borough of Sutton.
The area of Bandon Hill Cemetery is approximately six-and-a-quarter hectares. The cemetery has:
- consecrated (Church of England) ground and
- unconsecrated or general ground, where each grave plot is blessed by the appropriate minister on the day of the first interment
The first interment in Bandon Hill Cemetery took place on 7 March 7 1900 and was in grave number L 379.
On 24 March 2006 the cemetery carried out its 30,000th interment. There are approximately 14,000 grave spaces. Since 31 March 1995, except for graves for cremated remains only, new burial rights have only been available for reclaimed graves. These are very old graves that have burial space remaining but have not been used for at least seventy-five years.
The original rights to these graves are reclaimed by the Joint Committee by virtue of Section 9 of the GLC (General Powers) Act 1976.
The chapel complex houses the cemetery office and a small funeral chapel. The chapel is available for funeral services. There is currently no additional charge for the use of the chapel for funerals (excluding cremated remains interments) within Bandon Hill Cemetery.